Saturday, August 27, 2011

State of the Union: Post Three

1. Describe your typical creative process, from getting an assignment to finished piece.

In the past, the first day I receive an assignment is rarely the day I get started. Normally I would mule over the problem in my head before putting a pencil to paper. I never did any thumbnails as detailed as they should have been, and this is where my biggest problem arised. I always wanted to go straight from a to z without doing any of the work in the middle. I would also focus on one studio class at a time and try to finish everything that had to be done in one sitting. Since that time I have began to spend more time in the planning phase of my work, and try to find a way to make the creation process faster. This includes multiple sketches, a decent amount of thumbnails (possibly the same composition created over and over trying to see how moving one shape might make a difference),  and color studies. I rarely however record my notes. However even this isn't an ideal work process because my sketches are often better than the final pieces.

2. Describe what your process should be like?

I think, in my work process, I need to keep up with a better concept of time. I'll be honest, I always feel like I am coming up short when I turn an assignment in. I think I need to learn to stop being over analytical in the planning process of creating art, and I need to start to focus on my technique and how to make myself a bit more unified to get to the point where I feel proud of what I created. 

3. Research and describe a professional creator's creative process.

David Sedaris
GR: Describe a typical day spent writing.

DS: I like to wake up at 10:30 a.m. Then I just get to work. I usually start by writing in my diary, and then I turn to whatever story I'm working on. I stay at my desk until about 1:30 p.m., and then I go back to work at 8 at night. I work for another hour, hour and a half. If I have a deadline, I'll stay up all night, but generally it's about four hours a day.

GR: Do you have any unusual writing habits?

DS: I don't write in public. There was a saying when I first moved to Paris, "Oh, what café do you write in?" I thought, " Ugh, writing in public." I did that when I very first started because I was writing my diary by hand. I'd go to the Pancake House and sit there in my big booth, but that was when I was 22.

Hugh told me I make a lot of noise, which I didn't realize. Apparently I make a steady stream of humming sounds. I was shocked when he told me. I had no idea.

http://www.goodreads.com/interviews/show/554.David_Sedaris

I like the idea of creating a work process in which I am entitled to breaks so I don't feel like I am going crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment