Monday, August 29, 2011

State of the Union: Post Six

1. What sort of illustrator are you?

I don't know how to answer this one, I feel like the type of illustrator who is greatly influenced by comic book styled art, with sprinkles of eastern aesthetics showing through every once in a while. I feel like the type of illustrator who doesn't want to work in a large publishing company, and would prefer freelance work within a smaller community. I feel like the type of illustrator who prefers horizontal structure as their working enviroment.

2. What sort of career do you want to have?

I would prefer to have the "career" of a freelance artist. I want to be able to be in control of how many products I take on at one time, and I would like the freedom to step away after a major project is done, and take a break for my own personal sanity.

How do I want to sustain myself? I want to teach. I think I could be great at it. And I want to invest the minds of the youth to bring up my own army one day.

3. Does your present body of work reflect your aspirations? Could it do so more strongly?

I don't think my present body of work is much of anything. It's no ones fault but my own. I definatly was one of those students who just didn't get it for the longest time.  It hasn't been till recently that I began to feel a bit of success with what I have been doing in art. I do think I have become more goal oriented and have found a medium that I feel comfortable with.

4. List ten images/themes/techniques/subjects/formats that your portfolio needs in order to become more in line with your aspirations.

DADA
collage, absurdities, pushing the boundaries of reality. I think I should study this further

Brush Strokes
most people got them, I dont.





Typography
maybe I should have listened to chioffi more

Stronger inking
Make stuff look good!

A better understanding of INDESIGN
at this point I have used it twice, and both times were nightmares. This should be a simple program, why can't I work it?

Learn how to screen print
Maybe I would like to make a patch?

feeling comfortable contorting the figure
I need to stop freaking out about getting the anatomy of the figure exactly right. I need to loosen up




No comments:

Post a Comment